Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Thing 18

I have reviewed the five sites and read their descriptions.

I'm reluctant to give a Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval to any of them. It's a different age, I know, but I fear for the little people. Yes, parents are able to monitor what the content of these sites is, but can they be there all the time? There is a pleasant but dangerous belief in the minds of youngsters who believe they're going to live forever. The news brings us stories of young lives lost or forever drastically altered because of a predator, a computer hacker who knows how to "beat the system", who may travel a thousand miles to meet up with a youngster he met on the internet. It used to be our mothers turned gray knowing that we ventured to the forbidden river, or we played around box cars on the railroad, or climbed the stacks of lumber at the mill. But you know what? I never met a predator.

I thought Linkedin was pretty good, but Webjunction was better. Easy to navigate. I liked the coverage of library administration.

No comments:

Post a Comment